Tuesday 13 May 2014

Diabetes blog week day 2: dream diabetes device

Today's topic is meant to be writing a poem, but I really suck at that, so I'm going to go for one of the wildcards.

I was initially going to do the short story (I'm sure Garrus* my pump has more than a few tales to tell...) but I decided to go for the dream diabetes device one instead, since I've had these thoughts knocking about in my head for a little while.

The prompt is this:

This continues to be one of the most popular DBlogWeek topics, so let’s have another crack at it! Tell us what your fantasy diabetes device would be? Think of your dream blood glucose checker, delivery system for insulin or other meds, magic carb counter, or anything else you can think of. The sky is the limit – what would you love to see? 

I wrote about this before a couple of years ago, when I said that I wanted a magic carb counting device (which I still totally want).  This time I'm dreaming of something different. You know what I want? I want some kickass software to connect all of my diabetes paraphernalia.
I want an app on my phone that will talk to my pump, to my cgm, to my glucose meter. One that I can easily add notes to, and search on the go.  I want to be able to pull up when I last had pizza, see what my blood sugar was before, how I bolused, and what the cgm trace looked like afterwards to help me decide what to do this time. I want to be able to look at the data on a computer,  and combine ir however I want to spot trends, and send it to my clinic. I want to be able to pull out my phone and check my cgm, or bolus without needing to pull out my pump.

That's what I want. I know there are apps and programs out there that do parts of this,  but I've never found anything that does everything I want (and I'm a demanding little bugger). 

So that's my dream diabetes device. What's yours?

* My pump is called Garrus for very geeky reasons relating to the fact that he's blue and calibrates my CGM... ;)

2 comments:

  1. My dream diabetes device? It is exactly what you have described. I sure hope it exists one day. (One day soon, actually!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I want that :)

    ReplyDelete