Sunday 27 June 2010

Hypo treatments

Sam over at Talking blood Glucose posted today about how raspberry flavoured glucotabs have changed, which makes me sad. It got me to thinking about how I treat my lows, and how everyone seems to be a bit different in what works for them.

My favourite things for treating lows are Skittles and jelly beans. But not just any jelly beans. Jelly belly jelly beans. Oh man I love them. But they are not cheap or easily found, so I make do with skittles. The reason I like these is because I can count out how many I need, and I know that about four skittles/jelly beans will raise me about one mmol/l, so it's easy enough to work out. This means that there are skittle stashes everywhere - in bags, pockets, my drawer at work etc.

I also use glucotabs, for sheer convenience, and they work quickly. I have a little holder on my keyring that holds four of them, so it's easy to carry, and durable! They also last forever, and so I also have pots of them around. Only the raspberry ones though (the orange ones are horrible).

I'll use juice if I have to, particularly if I feel that I need to get my BG up quickly, as I think it works fastest in me. There's this weird thing when I'm low, though, where I feel the need to *chew* something. It's really odd, and I don't know if it's to do with me associating chewing=food=energy, and so my brain automatically wants to eat something. I find with juice, I always want to eat something afterwards, and it's much harder to control those hypo munchies, whereas if I use skittles or glucotabs, then I've satisfied that urge, and it's easier to stop when I know I've had enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment