Wednesday 23 June 2010

Let's give this blogging malarkey a try...

I've decided to create a new journal just for my diabetes stuff. I've fallen a bit out of touch with LJ, and I decided I wanted a fresh start. Blogger seems to be where all the cool kids hang out these days, so I figure I might as well give it a shot. ;) I'm not sure how much I'll actually update, but I like the idea of having a place to organise my diabetes-related thoughts.

So, I'm Angie, I've had type 1 diabetes for almost 22 years now (boy, does time fly when you're having fun...), and I don't really remember not being diabetic. I'm the proud owner of a blue Animas 2020 named Chuck, which I've been using for about five months now. I hang around a couple of diabetes forums, mainly www.diabetessupport.co.uk, where I go by the moniker randomange. I don't claim to be an expert of any kind on diabetes, I only know what works (or doesn't!) for me.

I'm a big fan of the diabetes online community. I spent the majority of my diabetic life knowing very few people with diabetes, and it's been fantastic to come online and meet people who know what living with diabetes is actually like. People are always happy to lend support, or wisdom, or even just an ear, and I've learned a lot, even though I've been diabetic for a while. If it wasn't for the DOC, I wouldn't have come out of my diabetes funk, my HbA1c would still be in double figures, and I wouldn't have Chuck. So I'm grateful, and I hope I can give something back. :)

Apart from being diabetic, I'm also a biochemistry graduate who's currently navigating the limbo land between finishing a PhD and starting a post-doc, a huge sci-fi loving, world of warcraft playing, internet geek, and despite living in England for five years have retained a fairly strong Glaswegian accent. *waves*

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I've noticed a link to your blog on one of your posts in Diabetes Support. I just though to come and say hi!!! I really like your blog design, in fact, it is the same as mine! Well, I have to say that I like it :))
    Like you I hardly know anyone diabetic, and when Siobhan suggested me to look into the online community, things changed quite a lot. I simply love it, reading blogs and following people on twitter, it makes me feel like I'm not alone anymore. I am getting out of a PhD too, so this is quite a hard time for me, and I am about to start a postdoc in 2 weeks! Well good look with this blog :)

    Manu

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course i meant luck. This is the "thesis writing up effect"... my brain is melted!

    ReplyDelete